KunstWandelhalle Bad Elster
Architectural adventure in the historical Kurpark
The fine arts have a long tradition in Bad Elster. After the “Wandelanlage” which was built in the mid 19th century, was no longer able to meet the rising demands, the Saxon construction authorities (architects Dr. Kramer and Dutzmann) erected the heatable, well-lit new “Wandelhalle” in 1928/ 1929. It was built in the Bauhaus style, and made from Elbe sandstone from Postelwitz, complete with a decorative fountain in the courtyard. The new Wandelhalle rose to become the most significant forum for the fine arts.
The sculptures on the left and right of the fountain, “Mother with Children” and “Man with Dog,” were created in 1938 by Paul Berger (*1899 in Zwickau/ †1949 in Dresden). The left wing (the former salt spring), houses the in April 2009 opened Saxon Baths museum Bad Elster. The right wing of the KunstWandelhalle is home to where the oldest used spring of Bad Elster pours out, the “Moritzquelle,” which was discovered in 1669. It also houses two sculptures by sculptor and architect Arno Breker (*1900 in Elberfeld / †1991 in Düsseldorf).
The central part serves as a venue for diverse concerts and changing art exhibits of different genres all year round. Herewith, Kunstverein Bad Elster e.V., as a partner of the Chursächsischen Veranstaltungs GmbH, wants to support the artistic and professional young talent from central Germany in particular. This is why in the series “JUNGES PODIUM” (young platform), exhibits and concerts take place in close collaboration with Saxony’s art and music schools.
The regularly changing exhibits in the KunstWandelhalle combine the past and the present as well as tradition and the spirit of the times in an entertaining fashion. Regional as well as national artists have been given the task of revitalising the KunstRaum Bad Elster as well as keeping up the historical tradition.
All information and current programme: www.kunstwandelhalle.de